When I first lost my job I was completely shocked. I didn't see it coming at all. After a weekend of crying and self pity, Monday morning I picked myself up and started searching for a job like a crackhead searching for a crack rock. I had a great perspective and had decided that I was exactly where I was supposed to be and that this was an opportunity for me to get into a career that really fulfilled me. I actually felt free and refreshed. Then the second week came .... and my wonderful outlook turned sour. The harsh reality seemed to hit me like a ton of bricks. It became harder to motivate myself, then I would feel guilt for losing focus or not trying hard enough. I felt so guilty I might as well turned Catholic. Things have gotten better since then, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that each day is a struggle. It is easy to get negative and question my self worth. It is really hard, but I have to remind myself that this will not last forever. I found this article that really makes some great points on job-hunting burnout. The best point that this article makes for me is that it is okay to take a break from job searching. I often work all day looking but when I do take breaks I feel super guilty. Unemployment is an emotional rollercoaster and the best thing that I can do to survive this time is to take things day by day. Take each day and try my best and when those days don't work out- start over tomorrow. I have to have faith in tomorrow, especially when today looks so bleak.
No comments:
Post a Comment