Man, I've been an emotional roller coaster lately. As I mentioned before, each day has been a struggle. And truth be told, I find myself searching for a do over on most days... At any rate, I decided that I desperately needed a reminder of how I deal with difficult times. In my experience there is only one way to deal with less than ideal situations and that is to stop belly aching and count your blessings. This may not be a profound "secret" but it truly can help you. Like most things, it sounds easy enough but in reality it is really difficult because it is the opposite of what you really want to do. It is human instinct to wallow around in self pity and anger. To get down on the fact that you are in a trying time in your life that seems unfair and unannounced. To curl up in the fetal position while crying about all the things that are wrong in your life. These are such knee jerk reactions that in bad times I have to constantly remind myself to stop and be thankful. Like recently, I've forgotten to be grateful for all the amazing things in my life- big and small. It is a struggle not to focus on the bad and worry about the future. But, I can guarantee that regardless of what is going on we always have MORE things to appreciate than bad things to dwell on. Gua-ran-tee. So hopefully this post can serve as a reminder for you and for me to be grateful. Because it is easy to count blessings in good times but the real challenge is counting them when you forget how to count.
No comments:
Post a Comment