Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Dare to Compare
Who do you compare yourself to? Come on, let it out we all do it in one way or another. I never fancied myself the type to compare and contrast, but as I've gotten to know myself better I realize that I most certainly rate myself against others. Not as much in the physical department but more so in the "life" department. Do they seem to have more fun? Are they more creative? Travel more? Cook better? I'm not sure where this side of my personality comes from but I will admit that it is one of my less endearing traits. I know that I'm a perfectionist but I also know that it is pointless and counterproductive to judge yourself based on others. People only let you see what they want you to see so you are often judging them (and yourself) based on a perception. That isn't a fair or realistic comparison. But still, I find myself comparing. It isn't as if I compare myself to one person- I compare myself to different aspects of different people's lives in order to make my life the best possible. For instance, I take friends who are "successful" in each life category and use them as a standard to judge my life. I don't begrudge or get super jealous of them, but I do at times, beat myself up for not being better in that category. I guess it is a form of adult competition. But is it healthy? I feel that some competition is good because it keeps you striving to do better and it gives you a goal to achieve. The key to this is keeping a straight head and not allowing jealousy and bitterness to overwhelm you. Compare yourself but don't undermine your selfworth if you fall short- because you are going to fall short. As a perfectionist this is one of the hardest truths to grasp... but if you are disillusioned then you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. It's like my mom told me when I was younger "...there is always going to be someone better than you and there is always going to be someone worse off. Be grateful for your talents, but also be humble because there is someone out there that can do it better."
Labels:
Life Ponders
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment